Elementary Education: BS/BA
Students who major in elementary education can become licensed to teach grades 1-8 and are "highly qualified" to teach grades 1-6, based on federal standards. All students in the program gain a broad knowledge of subjects in elementary education and then choose an emphasis to study more thoroughly. Students may choose more than one emphasis, but only one is required.
Utah State’s program in elementary education is unique in that students have the opportunity to work with children starting their first year in the program rather than waiting until their junior year, which is typical at other universities. By the time students graduate, they will have spent more than 600 hours in eight different practicum experiences.
The major in elementary education is particularly well suited to students transferring with an associate’s degree because the curriculum is designed so students can easily transition into the program and finish in a timely manner.
The Emma Eccles Jones College of Education and Human Services is ranked 10th in the nation among colleges of education in external research dollars.
Apply to Utah State University
In addition to Utah State University’s admissions requirements, the elementary education program has additional requirements:
- Freshmen: New freshmen admitted to USU in good standing qualify for admission to the pre-major.
- Transfer Students: Transfer students from other institutions and students transferring from other USU majors need a 2.75 total GPA for admission to this major.
- Teacher Education Program Requirements: In order to become an elementary education major, students must be accepted into the teacher education program, which includes the following:
- Completion of 30 semester credits with a minimum GPA of 3.00
- Receive minimum ACT scores (21 Composite- 20 English, 19 Math, 18 Science, 18 Reading)
- Complete certain core courses (see department for more information)
- Complete a speech and hearing test
- Pass the Teacher Education Writing Exam
- Pass a criminal background check (this should be done one semester before applying)
- Pass the Praxis II elementary education content knowledge exam (this should be done at least one semester prior to applying)
- Participate in a group interview and earn a minimum score of three
International students have additional admissions requirements.
This degree is offered through Utah State University Regional Campuses and follows the USU Regional Campus tuition schedule. See Tuition & Payment for more information.
The Emma Eccles Jones College of Education & Human Services may charge differential tuition for this program. Differential tuition is an added cost per credit for courses in the program. See the last page in the USU Tuition & Fee schedule for more information.
Students who major in elementary education are qualified to be licensed to teach grades 1-8 and are highly qualified to teach grades 1-6, based on federal standards.
The following degrees are available on the USU Eastern Price and Blanding Campuses:
- Special Education, BS/BA
- Instructional Technology, MEd
- Instructional Technology and Learning Sciences, MS
- Special Education, MEd
- Elementary Mathematics, Endorsement
- Gifted and Talented, Endorsement
- Reading, Endorsement
- School Library Media Administration, Endorsement
- Utah Mathematics Endorsement Project, Endorsement
Use the USU Degree Finder to search all degrees available throughout the Utah State University system.