English, Teaching Emphasis: BS/BA
The Department of English is the largest arts and humanities unit on the USU campus and features a wide variety of courses that cover a broad curriculum in literature, creative writing, English education, technical writing, and more. With its small class sizes and nationally published faculty members, the English Department helps students develop skills in analysis, production, and understanding of texts in the English language. Students learn to write, think, and communicate effectively in a technologically and culturally complex world. Students develop skills in the areas most valued by employers, including critical thinking, teamwork, and oral and written communication, which will prepare them to enter into a wide range of career options.
Because the English Department is home to faculty that are heavily involved in research, students are provided with numerous opportunities to pursue undergraduate research projects and creative projects with individual attention from professors.
Apply to Utah State University
In addition to Utah State University’s admissions requirements, the English Department has additional requirements:
- Freshmen: New freshmen admitted to USU in good standing qualify for admission to this major.
- Transfer Students: Transfer students from other institutions and students transferring from other USU majors need a 2.75 total GPA for admission to this major.
- STEP Requirements (English teaching emphasis): In order to be accepted into STEP, students must go through an application process, which includes the following:
- Complete 60 semester credits with a minimum GPA of 2.75
- Complete certain core courses (see department for more information)
- Complete a speech and hearing test
- Pass the Teacher Education Writing Exam
- Provide an unofficial copy of your transcript
- Pass a criminal background check (this should be done one semester before submitting the application)
International students have additional admissions requirements.
This degree is offered through Utah State University Regional Campuses and follows the USU Regional Campus tuition schedule. See Tuition & Payment for more information.
With a degree in English, students may be qualified for a variety of careers, including:
- Administrative assistant
- Public relations and marketing
- Management trainee
- Mass media assistant
English Teaching Emphasis
- Secondary education
The following degrees are available on the USU Eastern Price and Blanding Campuses:
Use the USU Degree finder to search all degrees available throughout the Utah State University system.