Family and Consumer Science Education and Extension: MS
This degree serves to expand academic preparation in the areas of family studies, housing, textiles and clothing, nutrition and food sciences, and management of personal resources. It places emphasis on teaching and curriculum/program development and/or Extension.
While this degree does not result in a teaching license for public schools, students will develop skills in the areas of instruction, program planning, evaluation and research related to research methodology and statistical applications.
A thesis is required. Most of the coursework (30 credits) is available online, requiring few trips to the Logan campus. This degree is recommend for those who will be working in an area of education requiring research in addition to teaching or those seeking a PhD.
USU School of Applied Sciences, Technology and Education:
Family and Consumer Sciences Education and Extension Master of Science
Students from any undergraduate background are welcome to apply.
- Complete the online application (Pay close attention to the essay question in the online application. The response will be used in admissions decision)
- Pay the application fee
- Score at or above the 40th percentile on in the GRE or MAT
- Have a 3.0 or higher GPA on your last 60 semester or 90 quarter credits
- Provide transcripts of all college/university credits
- Provide three contacts for letters of recommendation
International students have additional admissions requirements.
Applications, including test results, must be completed no later than two months prior to the start of the semester in which you would like to begin taking classes. Students are not allowed to take courses in the program without being admitted.
A variety of funding opportunities are available, including fellowships, scholarships, assistantships, tuition awards, and travel support. Additionally, students may be eligible for subsidized health insurance through qualifying assistantships.
This degree is offered through Utah State University Regional Campuses and follows the USU Regional Campus tuition schedule. See Tuition & Payment for more information.
- Secondary teaching
- Urban and rural Extension
- Social science
- Supervisory and administrative positions in business, technical schools, and applied technology colleges
- Consulting positions in mass media and industry
The following degrees are available on the USU Eastern Price and Blanding Campuses:
Use the USU Degree finder to search all degrees available throughout the Utah State University system.
Utah State University:
School of Applied Sciences, Technology and Education