Health & Wellness
Policies & Procedures / Forms
Business & Finance Services
(payroll, accounts, travel, etc.)
Utah State University
Human Resources Manager / Title IX Coordinator / Affirmative Action
Human Resources Assistant
Faculty and Professional Staff
Faculty and professional staff are enrolled in the (Teachers Insurance and Annuity-College Retirement Equities Fund (TIAA-CREF) system.
TIAA-CREF is a 401(k) retirement plan in which USU Eastern contributes in you behalf each pay period.
Employees may also opt to contribute additional funds to their TIAA-CREF account through payroll deduction.
Employees may choose to enroll in Fidelity Investments.
Supplemental Retirement Contributions can be started, changed or stopped through by payroll deduction.
Classified staff are enrolled in the Utah State Retirement System (URS).
URS is a pension plan provided through the state of Utah.
The University contributes toward a defined benefit pension and a small percentage is contributed to a 401(k). Employees choose how the 401(k) contribution is allocated.
Use the forms below to start, change or stop your supplemental retirement contributions:
- Current maximum annual contribution limit it $17,500 or $23,000 if age 50 or older.
- Contributions are made pre-tax (this reduces an employee's taxable income).
- Withdrawals can be made upon termination or age 59½. Subject to taxes. Distributions prior to age 59½ are subject to a 10% penalty.
- Current maximum annual contribution limit is $17,500 or $23,000 of age 50 or older.
- Contributions are made pre-tax (this reduces and employee's taxable income).
- Withdrawals can be made upon termination.
- Unforeseeable emergency withdrawals are permitted under certain circumstances.
- Current maximum annual contribution limit is $17,500 or $23,000 if age 50 or older.
- Contributions are made post-tax.
- Withdrawals can be made upon termination or age 59½. Distributions prior to age 59½ are subject to a 10% penalty. Withdrawals can be made prior to age 59½ as long as the person has participated for 5 or more years, but will be subject to a 10% penalty.
Retirement Health care Savings Plan (RHSP)
The retirement health care savings plan allows you to contribute to a trust that can help you pay for qualified health care expenses in retirement or when you leave USU. The plan is administered by TIAA-CREF. You can choose to put your money into life-cycle or money market funds.
Because of its many tax-advantage features, a retirement health care savings plan is valuable to anyone concerned about health care costs in retirement. You can contribute as much as you like to the RHSP using post-tax money, and your contributions grow tax-free. Then, when you leave USU or retire, the funds you use for qualified health care expenses can be withdrawn tax-free.
To set up your retirement health care savings plan contact Tammy Auberger at (435) 613-5318.
Utah Retirement Systems (URS), TIAA-CREF and Fidelity all have representatives who come on campus to do one-on-one counseling.