Skip to main content

Records and Registration Faculty Information

FERPA Training

Learn about student rights regarding their educational record. For more information see Privacy Rights for Students.

Registration Information

Waitlisting may provide many advantages to students, instructors, and administrators. The biggest advantage to students is that they will be notified when a seat becomes available on a first-come, first-served basis. See Waitlisting at USU for more information.

Grading Information

Grade Entry Details

Grade Entry: A grade must be entered for each student on your list prior to the deadline. If a student did not attend or complete your course, an "F" grade must be assigned. Do not leave blanks. If necessary, a student has the right to pursue an Academic Record Adjustment to straighten out or challenge potential registration errors.

Last Attend Date:
(LEFT BLANK EXCEPT): If you assign an "F" grade to a student, please complete the "Last Attend Date" field (system required). The last date a student participates in any academically related activity is his or her "Last Attend Date." This includes submitting assignments, taking exams or quizzes, and attendance at labs, study sessions, or tutorials. The "Last Attend Date" for any student who took the final exam is the date of the final.

Students who stop attending and/or participating before 60 percent of the semester is complete may be required to repay some federal financial aid. Graders may ignore the "Attend Hours" field.

Incomplete Grades

Students are required to complete all courses for which they are registered by the end of the semester. In some cases, a student may be unable to complete all of the coursework because of extenuating circumstances. The term "extenuating" circumstances includes: (1) incapacitating illness which prevents a student from attending classes for a minimum period of two weeks, (2) a death in the immediate family, (3) financial responsibilities requiring a student to alter course schedule to secure employment, (4) change in work schedule as required by employer, (5) judicial obligations, or (6) other emergencies deemed appropriate by the instructor. The student may petition the instructor for time beyond the end of the semester to finish the work. If the instructor agrees, two grades will be given, an "I" and a letter grade for the course computed as if the missing work were zero. An Incomplete Grade Documentation Form must be filed by the instructor in the department or college office. Students may not be given an incomplete grade due to poor performance or in order to retain financial aid. An incomplete grade may be granted only if the student has completed the majority of the course and is passing the class at the time.

The student is required to complete the work by the time agreed upon (which may not be longer than 12 months). If no change of grade is submitted by the instructor within the prescribed period, the "I" will be removed and the letter grade originally submitted with the "I" will remain as the permanent grade for the course. Arrangements to complete the missing coursework are to be made directly with the instructor awarding the "I" grade, and in accordance with departmental and other USU policies. In the absence of the original instructor, special circumstances must be handled by the department head. Documentation of the reasons for granting an "I" grade and required work to be completed in order to remove the "I" grade must be recorded on the Incomplete Grade Documentation Form, which must be filed with the departmental office. Resolution of the "I" grade does not involve a complete repeat of the course, only the completion of missing coursework. A student does not re-register for the course. All "I" grades must be changed to letter grades prior to graduation, regardless of whether or not the course is required for the degree. Dissertation, thesis, directed study, and independent study courses taken for graduate work are exempted from this policy.

A student who is on academic probation and receives an incomplete grade in one or more classes may register for classes in the subsequent semester, provided the grades received from his or her other classes are high enough to prevent the student from being placed on academic suspension. A student in this situation, prior to making up the incomplete grade, may enroll in only one subsequent semester. A Registrar's Office hold will then be placed on the student's record, preventing him or her from registering for a second additional semester. Additional registration holds may be placed on a student's record by an academic advisor. The Registrar's Office hold will not be removed until the incomplete grade is changed to a letter grade. If the resulting grade does not cause the student to be placed on academic suspension, the Registrar's Office hold will be removed. Other registration holds, such as an advisor hold, will need to be removed by the office placing the hold.

Exceptions to the one subsequent semester limitation may be made (1) if receiving the grade that accompanies the incomplete grade (e.g., a student who receives an "IF" grade would receive an "F" if no additional work was   completed) would not cause the student to be placed on academic suspension for the semester in which the incomplete grade was originally received, or (2) by memo of justification from the course instructor who submitted the incomplete grade. Any exceptions must be requested through the Registrar's Office.

What is an “NF” grade?

The university has approved a new grade: "NF" or "Nonparticipating F". This is to be given to students who would normally receive an F, but who did not participate academically in the course at least one time. Participation includes: attending class or lab, taking a quiz or exam, or turning in an assignment. It also includes asking a question by email or participating in an online class discussion but doesn't include simply logging onto Canvas. The "NF" grade will need to be manually entered in Banner as Canvas does not recognize this grade and therefore cannot send it into Banner.

Students who receive an "F" grade must have participated at least once in the course. A Last Day of Attendance (LDA) should be entered in these cases. The LDA encompasses the forms of participation mentioned above. Both the "F" and "NF" grade count as zero in GPA calculations.

Federal regulations require the university to document participation for any student receiving aid. Inadequate documentation costs the university thousands of dollars every semester. Using this new grade should reduce the need for the Financial Aid Office to contact you for documentation. The Financial Aid Office will continue to request documentation for students receiving an "F" without the Last Date of Attendance entered.

When Grades are Posted/Rolled

Throughout the semester, submitted grades move/roll to Academic History daily (approximately 5:00 pm). All grades submitted prior to this point become available for viewing via the unofficial transcript (approximately 6:00 pm) after this process is completed. Canvas users, please note: If you exporting grades to Banner (publish to SIS), it is recommended that you verify that the grades exported properly by checking the grading roster in Access Banner before they roll to academic history.

All submitted grades are FINALIZED during this process. Please input FINAL grades ONLY. "Unentered Grades" remain unaffected by this process. If a grade is submitted and this ROLL occurs, the grade is now OFFICIAL, and any change requires the submission of the Change of Grade Form.

Grade Submission Deadline

The deadline for instructors to submit final grades is within 96 hours after the final examination for the course, excluding weekends. The last day of final examinations typically occurs on a Friday, so the grading deadline is usually the following Thursday at 5:00 pm.  

Documented grading policy (within the Provost's Office Academic Policies and Procedures Manual). Grading for all terms is governed in accordance with this policy.

If you have missed the deadline or you have made errors in the original grade entry, please contact your department, associate dean, or the Registrar's Office. They can instruct you on how to submit change of grade requests electronically.

Please Note: If a person is unable to adhere to the policies above, please contact your dean, associate dean, or department head for more information.

Electronic Change of Grades

Once a grade has been reported to the Registrar's Office, it can only be changed by completing the electronic change of grade form. The form, which may only be completed by the instructor of record, requires faculty to log in with their A-Number and password. In case the instructor is not available, the department head has authority to change the grade, provided the grade was assigned less than one year ago. This applies also to the grade of Incomplete "I". A change of grade after more than one year requires the approval of the academic dean of the college in which the course is offered. The Registrar’s Office will route the electronic request to the dean when the dean’s authorization is required.

Grade change requests are done through ServiceNow. There are options to change individual grades or a list of grades for single CRN.

If you have questions about grading, please contact the Records Office at (435) 613-5207.