Auditing a Course
Credit by Examination
Utah Residency Requirements
Financial Aid & Scholarships
Tuition & Fees
Student Payment Accounts
Apply for Admissions
Utah State University
Office of Admissions
Utah State University
Academic Records & Registration Director
The standard leave period is one year. However, allowances will be made for military activation, church or humanitarian service, and those with extenuating circumstances.
Upon your return to USU Eastern, you will not be required to apply for readmission. Instead, the Registrar's Office will remind you of your scheduled return date, and you simply need to verify that you are returning - it's that easy! Additionally, students who file for a leave of absence will have their scholarships placed on hold, and will continue to have their USU Eastern Eaglemail email accounts.
If you are an incoming student who has been admitted but wants to defer your admission to a future date, please refer to the following checklist for your next steps.
File for Deferment
- Once you know the exact dates you will be leaving and returning, you should file for a deferment online at http://www.usu.edu/loa
- If you will be returning sooner or later than you indicated on your original deferment request, please contact the Leave of Absence Department at (435) 797-1132 or email@example.com.
- The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 prohibits Utah State University Eastern from releasing certain personally identifiable information from a student’s record to a third party (e.g. parent, spouse, etc.) without the student’s explicit consent.
- Ideally, you should set a security phrase and identify your parents, or another trusted adult, as a delegate so that they will have permission to help you during your leave. Designating a parent or trusted adult as a delegate will give them permission to make changes and act in your behalf while you are on deferment.
Prepare your Financial Resources
- Freshman are automatically considered for USU Eastern scholarships when they apply for admission. If selected for a scholarship, you will receive a letter of acceptance and you will need to return the signed form to USU Eastern. If you are awarded a scholarship, accept the scholarship, and submitted a deferment at http://www.usu.edu/loa, the scholarship will automatically be put on hold.
- If you have been awarded Departmental or Private Endowment scholarships they will need to contact the department/donor directly to defer these specific scholarships.
Plan Ahead for Financial Aid
- You do not defer financial aid but rather complete the application process when you are ready. The time to apply for financial aid is dependent upon when you will begin attending USU Eastern. The application for financial aid begins in January for the following academic year, and must be applied for each year. Therefore, if you will begin school in August you should apply in January prior to starting school.
Visit Financial Aid & Scholarships for more information.
Keep on File
Keep the following student information in a place where your delegate can refer to it as needed during your deferment:
- A-number (Student ID number)
- Security Phrase
- Leave of Absence Department contact information: firstname.lastname@example.org , and 435-797-1132.
- Information about your desired housing, including application and payment deadlines