Academic Advising Syllabus
Welcome to USU Eastern! As your academic advisor, I look forward to our partnership here on campus. This is an exciting time in your life and I want to help you get the most from your experiences as a college student. We can work together to choose classes that will keep you on track for graduation and meet your educational goals. I am also here to help you with the challenges that may come during college and to find opportunities for future learning and growth. Please feel free to contact me to discuss any questions you may have.
Our Academic Advisors are Available by Appointment
To Schedule an Appointment: http://usueastern.edu/advising
or call (435) 613-5207
Definition of Academic Advising
Here at USU Eastern, our goal is to help students get the most from their college experiences. We believe academic advising is a partnership between the advisor and the student. Together we can address challenges, identify opportunities, and establish goals for attaining academic, professional, and personal success.
- Keep your contact information in Banner (Access) updated.
- Schedule and keep regular advising appointments. Cancel ahead of time when necessary.
- Come prepared to the appointment with a purpose (questions, concerns, issues, etc.). Be ready to share information about progress and/or obstacles.
- Read and respond appropriately to all university correspondence sent via email.
- Retain important documentation related to your
- Accept responsibility for your academic plans and be proactive in making decisions.
- Keep your advisor informed about: change of major, academic, health and/or financial challenges or other issues that are affect your ability to complete your course work.
- Develop positive relationships with faculty, staff, and fellow students.
- Be aware of relevant policies, procedures, and requirements as outlined in the online catalog.
- Educate yourself on campus resources that will help improve your educational experience.
- Provide accurate information about policies, procedures, and requirements.
- Create a welcoming environment where you can express your concerns and goals. Maintain confidentiality.
- Assist you in developing academic/career plans that are consistent with your goals, interests, and abilities.
- Assist you in navigating the university registration systems.
- Encourage you to meet with campus support staff. Refer you to additional resources when necessary or appropriate.
- Advocate for your educational success.
Services Provided by Academic Advisor
- Degree/Major Advising
- Academic planning
- Academic Forms (Change of Matriculation, Registration Options, Graduation Application, etc.)
- Communicate Important Dates and Events Provide referrals to student services
- Assist in transition to bachelor advising
Objectives to Your Appointment
- Exploration of life goals
- Exploration of career/educational goals
- Selection of educational programs
- Assist in the selection of courses for educational programs
- Assist in the process for scheduling classes
How to Prepare for Your Advising Appointment
- Be early for appointments
- Think ahead about what you want to discuss during your appointment
- Bring relevant documentation with you
Tips for a Successful Student / Advisor Relationship
- Recognize that appointment times are limited during peak advising weeks (pre-registration, etc.). Please plan ahead.
- Remember important paperwork and deadlines.
- When communicating by phone, speak clearly and leave detailed messages.
- When communicating by e-mail, include specific information about yourself and your concern (A#, name, situation, preferred contact method, etc.).
General Academic Advising
One Stop Student Services
Career & Technical Education Advising
One Stop Student Services
Student Support Services
Jennifer Leavitt Student Center 225