Economics is the social science that analyzes the production, distribution, and consumption of goods and services in order to explain how economies work. Students in the economics major learn how to think critically, solve problems, work with numbers, in addition to a variety of other skills. The coursework in the program also provides a strong grounding in economic theory, which helps open unique career opportunities that involve policy analysis. Students pursuing economics gain valuable research experience that prepares them for graduate school or various careers in business. Four Emphasis Options are available in Economics: Economic Theory, Managerial Economics, Prelaw Economics, and International Economics and Trade.
- Students receive a BS by completing all required courses in the major. To receive a BA, students must also gain proficiency in one or more foreign languages.
- A dual major in accounting and economics is also available. Students meeting the requirements for the dual major can receive a BA or a BS. Information about this degree is found in the USU catalog.
Emphases (an emphasis is not required)
- Economic Theory - Delve more deeply into economic theory as you prepare for graduate school in a variety of research areas.
- International Economics and Trade - Study economics as it relates to globalization and interdependence among countries.
- Managerial Economics - Prepare for a career in business or gain the foundation to prepare you to pursue an MBA.
- Prelaw Economics - Enjoy a flexible program with lots of elective credit options as you prepare for law school or careers in political science.
The economics degree (BS) is available online without an emphasis.
The Jon M. Huntsman School of Business may charge differential tuition for this program. Differential tuition is an added cost per credit for courses in the program. See the last page in the USU Tuition & Fee schedule for more information.
With a degree in economics, students may be qualified for the following careers:
- Economic Loss Specialist
- Statistical Analyst
- Financial Analyst
- Management Consultant
- Asset Management
- Economics Consultant
- Management Trainee
- Compensation & Benefits Manager
- Trust Officer
- Insurance Underwriter
- Trade Specialist
- Financial Planner
- Loan Officer
Our professional career coaches are equipped with all the tools necessary to help you with interview prep, professional networking, job searching, and so much more! Schedule an appointment today.
Select degrees and programs are not available at all Utah State University locations. Please contact a Statewide Campuses advisor to verify program availability.If you are intending to complete this program online outside the state of Utah, please review our state authorizations to see if this program is offered in your state.