Alumni Legacy Nonresident Waiver
The Legacy Nonresident Waiver may be awarded to undergraduate nonresidents who have at least one parent or grandparent who graduated from Utah State University.
Option 1: Receive a legacy waiver for 1 year, allowing you to pay resident tuition. The time on the Legacy Waiver will count towards the time requirement to establish Utah residency. This is a 1-year waiver and cannot be renewed. To continue paying resident tuition a second year, Utah residency must be established.
Option 2: Receive a legacy waiver for 4 years. While on this Legacy Waiver, a student will be required to pay resident tuition + $1,000 per semester (or $2,000 per year, in addition to resident tuition). While on this waiver, students are not allowed to establish Utah residency.
To be considered for this scholarship a student must:
- submit an online application for the Alumni Legacy Waiver before the deadline:
- November 1 for Spring students
- August 1 for Fall students
- apply to USU as a first-time undergraduate student
- have at least one parent or grandparent who earned an associate degree or higher from Utah State University
- meet general scholarship eligibility requirements
Deadline - November 1 for Spring students, August 1 for Fall students
- USU students already enrolled on the Legacy Waiver are not currently allowed to establish residency.
- International students should contact Ben Wilkey for application information.
- Time spent in Utah on the Alumni Legacy Nonresident Waiver MAY be counted towards establishing resident student status. If you would like to discuss other options, please contact Nicole Larson.
- The Alumni Legacy Nonresident Waiver was implemented July 1, 2009 and made possible by the signing of House Bill 364. The addition of grandparents to the waiver was implemented July 1, 2013 and made possible by the signing of Senate Bill 51. House Bill 349 will be implemented July 1, 2018 and allows an option for establishing Utah residency.
- Other requirements may apply.