HB144 Utah Nonresident Tuition Exception Affidavit
Any student other than a non immigrant alien who meets all the following requirements, shall be exempt from paying the nonresident portion of the total tuition at Utah State University. Student information provided in this affidavit is strictly confidential unless disclosure is required by law.
- The student must have attended a Utah high school for three or more years.
- The student must have graduated from a Utah high school or attained the equivalent of a high school diploma (GED) in Utah.
- Students must submit their official high school transcript(s) validating three-year high school attendance in Utah and graduation from a Utah high school.
- A student, who is without lawful immigration status, must file an affidavit with Utah State University stating that he or she has filed an application to legalize immigration status, or will file an application as soon as he or she is eligible to do so.
- Students who hold a non immigrant alien visa are not eligible for this exemption.
- Students eligible for this exemption who are transferring to another Utah public college or university must submit a new request (and documentation if required) to each college under consideration.
- Students meeting the criteria will have the nonresident portion of their tuition waived, but continue to be classified as nonresidents.
- Students who qualify for this exemption are not eligible for state and federal financial aid.
Before you Apply
Once you are determined to be eligible for the exemption, you will continue to receive it as long as you fulfill the requirements listed below and in your acceptance agreement letter, or Utah State University no longer offers this exemption. Applying for the exemption does not in any way alter your responsibility to pay on time any nonresident tuition and associated fees that may be due before your eligibility is determined. This exemption of nonresident tuition will not be considered until you are an admitted student to Utah State University. ALL requirements of R512.4.5 must be met.
To be considered for this scholarship a student must:
- Fill out the admission application.
- In addition to any credentials necessary for admission to Utah State University, you must arrange to have your final Utah high school transcript verifying graduation sent directly to the Utah State University Admissions Office. The transcript must show completion of at least three years in a Utah high school and proof that you have graduated from the Utah high school or have an equivalency of a high school diploma in Utah.
- Complete the Nonresident Tuition Exception Affidavit